A programme suitable for all young people to promote physical and mental health, confidence, happiness and a positive outlook will be rolled out in Scoil MhuireRealt na Mara in the next few weeks.
The Department of Education runs courses for class teachers to practice Mindfulness in class on a daily basis. A quote from the Council for Catechetics, chaired by Bishop Brendan Leahy states “Mindfulness in a Christian context might be best experienced as Christian meditation or contemplation. In our Christian tradition, we have a long and very rich history of Christian meditation from which to draw, that can add to a child’s spiritual growth and overall wellbeing”. The Council, at the moment is producing a policy document on Mindfulness.
The series ‘Mindful Movement and Positive Living’ in our school will be delivered by Maura Broaders every week for 6 weeks starting Monday April 24th. The programme aims to help students to
- Learn Mindful Movement poses to develop skills in stretching, balance, breathing.
- Learn skills in stress management and help overcome negative thinking.
- Promote an attitude of positive living.
- Take control of thinking to develop confidence and self esteem, to assist in the process of learning and educational performance.
- Encourage use of child’s imagination to discover their own interests, ability and uniqueness.
- Encourage excellence and best effort in all activities.
- Develop concentration and relaxation skills to facilitate greater awareness, stillness and mindful living.
- Reinforce habits in good nutrition.
- Encourage respect, acceptance and tolerance of self and others.
- Mindfulness is being used by many schools across the country to build positive mental health and self-esteem in children. Studies show that benefits include reduced stress and anxiety, improved sleep, better concentration and performance in the classroom, less aggression, a decrease of depression and a greater sense of self-esteem.
We can’t wait to get started!
“The Sanctuary” in Dublin runs courses for adults in Mindfulness and is run by Sr. Stanislaus Kennedy. See the website for more information on Mindfulness www.sanctury.ie.